Lateral Entry Training Program
The Illinois State Police (ISP) is instituting a Lateral Entry Training Program that provides an opportunity for certified police officers to become Illinois State Troopers through participation in an accelerated training program.
Lateral Entry Program:
- Eligible for certified police officers to become Illinois State Troopers through an accelerated training program.
- 14-week training program, with no more than five (5) weeks on-site at the ISP Academy with a maximum of three (3) weeks consecutively.
- Cadets will not have to relocate upon graduation and District assignment.
Illinois Department of Corrections experience does not apply towards Lateral Entry eligibility. However, it will apply towards retirement.
Applicants who do not have 2 years experience at the time of the application may still be considered if they will have completed 2 years by the time the next Lateral Entry class begins.
Merit Board Minimum Requirements
To be eligible for the Lateral Program, applicants must meet the following requirements at the time of application submission:
- Applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- An applicant twenty (20) years of age may apply if they have successfully completed an associate’s degree or 60 credit hours at an accredited college or university.
- Applicant cannot have been convicted of a felony.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of completing the application.
- Applicant must be willing to accept an assignment anywhere in the State.
- Applicant must have completed, with a C average or better, one of the following education requirements:
- Associate's degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
- No education needed if applicant meets one of the following:
- Honorably discharged AND has been awarded at least one of the qualifying medals by the United States Armed Forces. Proof must be provided on a DD-214.
- An active member of the Illinois National Guard or a reserve component of the United States Armed Forces AND have been awarded at least one of the qualifying medals as a result of honorable service during deployment on active duty. Proof must be provided on a DD-214.
- Honorably discharged AND served in a combat mission by proof of hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay during deployment on active duty. Proof must be provided on a DD-214.
- Have at least 3 years of full active and continuous military duty and received an honorable discharge before hiring. Proof must be provided on a DD-214.
- Must be a current certified police officer, having graduated from an accredited law enforcement academy.
- Must have at least two years of experience while employed as a full-time sworn police officer.
- Must be able to provide proof of successful completion of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)/International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) approved DWI/DUI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing training program prior to starting a Lateral Entry class.
Questions? Contact a Recruiter:
Illinois State Police Recruitment Section
Do I qualify for the Lateral Program?
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
We are accepting online applications for the position of Illinois State Police Trooper.
Note: this application is for Lateral and Non-Lateral applicants.