The Illinois State Police Merit Board has set the following minimum requirements for persons applying for an Illinois State Trooper position:
- Applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- An applicant twenty (20) years of age may apply if they have successfully completed an associate’s degree or 60 credit hours at an accredited college or university.
- Applicant cannot have been convicted of a felony.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of completing the application.
- Applicant must be willing to accept an assignment anywhere in the State.
- Applicant must have completed, with a C average or better, one of the following education requirements:
Associate's degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
No education needed if applicant meets one of the following:
College or university must be accredited by one of the following:
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Higher Learning Commission
- New England Commission of Higher Education
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges
- WASC Senior College and University Commission
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
Qualifying Military Medals:
- Southwest Asia Service Medal
- Kosovo Campaign Medal
- Korean Defense Service Medal
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Iraq Campaign Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal